Sarah has assisted regional, national and multinational clients with products liability, property damage, employment discrimination, insurance coverage disputes and consumer fraud cases. In this capacity, Sarah has managed all phases of litigation, including discovery, expert witnesses and dispositive motions, as well as trial. She has also represented these clients at the appellate level in state and federal courts, handling amicus briefs, extraordinary writs, appeals and oral arguments.
Sarah currently represents multiple motor fuel refiners and retailers in multidistrict consumer-fraud class action litigation and recently obtained summary judgment in favor of these clients on a civil conspiracy claim. She also serves as national counsel handling all phases of litigation in products liability matters for a Fortune 50 company under an alternative fee structure.
She has also represented the Kansas City Missouri School District and its former superintendent in a retaliation case brought under the Missouri Human Rights Act at the trial and appellate level. She has also handled discovery, motion practice and settlement negotiations for a major automotive manufacturer in its warranty cases; prepared scientific and medical defense experts for a toxic tort trial involving an animal health company; and drafted amicus and merits briefs to the Missouri Court of Appeals, Western District, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Missouri Supreme Court, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
As a college student, Sarah spent a year studying international business at the Ècole Supèrieure de Commerce de Dijon in Dijon, France, and as an intern with the Sofitel Dijon La Cloche. She also spent a summer in Amman, Jordan, teaching English and counseling Fulbright scholars and other university students seeking to study in the United States at the America-Mideast Educational and Training Services.
Sarah has obtained favorable results for her clients in a variety of cases, including:
- serving on the trial team of bellwether consumer-fraud class-action trial that resulted in a unanimous defense verdict for three motor fuel retailers, including a summary judgment ruling for a retailer on conspiracy claims and a writ of mandamus and appeal to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals that created new favorable First Amendment discovery protections;
- briefing a writ of prohibition to the Missouri Supreme Court regarding the separation of powers and jurisdiction in a high-profile product liability claim against a bus manufacturer;
- briefing and arguing an appeal to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri regarding the Missouri Human Rights Act, resulting in the establishment of favorable procedural law;
- submitting an amicus brief to the Missouri Supreme Court on extra-contractual liability in the insurance-litigation context;
- briefing and arguing tandem summary judgment and Daubert motions to the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota that resulted in the exclusion of opposing experts, rejection of res ipsa loquitur and dismissal of the entire action with prejudice;
- briefing tandem summary judgment and Daubert motions for a medical device manufacturer in the U.S. District Court for the District of Oklahoma on defect and causation issues, resulting in the dismissal of the entire action after filing;
- briefing a motion to dismiss for drug manufacturers, obtaining a partial dismissal of claims;
- obtaining the dismissal at trial of negligence and property damage claims against a utility company in a bench trial;
- submitting pro bono appellate briefing to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals regarding a constitutional challenge to the Kansas school financing system;
- representing clients on petitions to appeal under Rule 23(f) raising novel jurisdictional and constitutional issues of first impression; and
- representing clients in amici briefs and petitions to the U.S. Supreme Court on procedural and constitutional law arguments.
Deposition Skills Workshop, Visiting faculty member for intensive intercession course at University of Kansas School of Law, January 2012-2015.
Co-author, Be an Effective Expert Witness, Fire Protection Contractor (October 2014).
Expert Witness Workshop, Visiting faculty member for intensive intercession course at University of Kansas School of Law, May 2012-2014.
Co-author, LEEDing the Way to Sustainability, Kansas City Business Journal (2008).