Jennifer focuses her practice on the defense of companies engaged in litigation throughout the United States in both state and federal courts. She is a member of a team of attorneys and analysts who represent corporations on a flat-fee basis. This is fast-paced and demanding work that includes claims for wrongful death, personal injury, significant property damage and complex issues involving insurance and indemnity. Jennifer focuses her practice on evaluating possibilities for early case resolution and has effectively disposed of numerous multimillion dollar cases prior to discovery through motion practice. Jennifer has experience in all stages of litigation including initial case evaluations, discovery, depositions, pre-trial motion practice, and settlement negotiations.
Jennifer has drafted numerous successful dispositive motions in federal courts.
- Allstate Indem. Co. v. ADT LLC, No. 14-9494, 2015 WL 3798715 (N.D. Ill. June 17, 2015) (dismissing lawsuit by applying subrogation waiver and alternatively dismissing claims for negligence, gross negligence, breach of implied warranty, and violations of Illinois’s Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act for failure to state a claim).
- Nickens v. ADT Sec. Servs., Inc., 2014 WL 6910463 (S.D. Ind. Nov. 25, 2014) (reconsidering order on motion to dismiss and enforcing contract’s one-year provision by dismissing Nickens’s claims because he failed to file suit within a year);
- Shakeri v. ADT Sec. Servs., Inc., 2014 WL 5780955 (N.D. Tex. Nov. 6, 2014) (dismissing claims for negligence, fraudulent inducement, and violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and limiting plaintiff’s recoverable damages to the contractually agreed-upon amount);
- Parra v. ADT Sec. Servs., Inc., 2014 WL 4926277 (E.D. Cal. Sept. 30, 2014) (dismissing negligence claim and enforcing one-year time to sue provision despite plaintiff attempting to void contract);
- Brotherhood Mutual Ins. Co. v. ADT LLC, 978 F. Supp. 2d. 1001, 2013 WL 5728211 (D. Minn. 2013) (dismissing negligence claim without prejudice for failure to state a claim); 2014 WL 2993728 (D. Minn. July 2, 2014) (entering judgment in ADT’s favor on negligence claim).
Publications and Presentations
Aaron Kirkland and Jennifer Cascio, Using Contract Provisions To Shorten The Time To Sue, Law360, September 21, 2015.
Jennifer Zimmermann, Case Note, Act Now to Stop War & End Racism Coal. v. District of Columbia, 589 F.3d. 433 (D.C. Cir 2009), The Urban Lawyer, Summer 2010.