Brent is a trial and appellate lawyer focusing on complex litigation, with an emphasis on commercial litigation, mass torts, products liability, class actions and federal multidistrict litigation. He litigates and tries cases ranging from the defense of corporations in antitrust matters, commercial litigation, business disputes, and federal criminal and civil rights litigation.
Brent has first-chair trial experience and has served as lead appellate counsel in cases before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. As a member of the Western District of Missouri and Eighth Circuit CJA Panel, he routinely handles criminal and civil case appointments at both the district court and circuit court level.
Brent's recent trial and appellate matters include:
- first-chairing a jury trial for a client alleging Section 1983 claims;
- obtaining a defense verdict for a client at trial against claims that the client engaged in unfair business practices; and
- fully briefing and arguing to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals in a case for a client alleging constitutional violations against various defendants.
Other significant litigation experience includes:
- defending multiple state and federal MDL class action antitrust claims alleging a client engaged in conspiracy to manipulate the natural gas market;
- defending federal and state class action claims alleging a client violated the Fair Labor Standards Act and Missouri law;
- defending multiple federal class actions involving property rights;
- defending a client in a breach-of-contract action; and
- defending a client in individual and class action cases involving alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Early Kill Shots in Class Actions: Motions to Strike Class Allegations, Shook Hardy & Bacon’s Class Action and Complex Litigation Annual Spring Summit (June 2014).
The Missouri Bar Next Step Series: Federal Practice, CLE Webinar, (2011, 2012 and 2013).