Anna excels at developing effective strategies in high-stakes disputes by recognizing her clients’ priorities and focusing on pragmatic solutions. With five years of experience managing a staff of ten at a growing private company before law school, Anna understands business objectives and brings a practical approach to litigation. Anna works closely with her clients and co-counsel at every stage of litigation to provide updates, answer questions and explain options. While litigation is never easy, Anna’s clients regularly credit her high level of responsiveness for giving them the ability to focus on their business and personal lives without worries or anxiety over the pending litigation.
Anna has a wide range of experience managing lawsuits involving breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties, employment law and enforcement of restrictive covenants, professional liability, intellectual property, fraud and insurance coverage. Anna’s critical reasoning skills, creative problem solving, and organized and efficient management style are distinct advantages for her clients.
Prior to joining Shook, Anna was an associate at Latham & Watkins in both New York and Chicago, where she focused her practice on contract, white collar and securities matters.
- Breach of contract – Anna successfully defended ArcelorMittal in a breach of contract action, second-chairing a two-week arbitration hearing and taking all depositions in the case. The AAA recently awarded a complete defense victory and all arbitration costs to our client.
- Contract, fiduciary duties, intellectual property and fraud – Anna has represented a proprietary trading firm in numerous contract, trade secret, intellectual property and fraud suits brought by and against former employees. Most recently, she achieved a complete victory for the firm and its CEO through early motion practice in a suit brought by a former trader that alleged breach of contract and fraud.
- Professional liability – Anna defended a prominent Chicago law firm against a $34-million professional liability suit. Anna took and defended key depositions that led to the discovery of critical facts missed by opposing counsel and eliminated a significant portion of the plaintiff’s damages claim.
- Patent – Anna has prosecuted and defended patent claims for Microsoft, Snap-on Tools and several pharmaceutical companies, including through claim construction hearings and final verdicts.
- Trademark – Anna assumed the defense of a national window, door and roofing manufacturer and retailer after the Northern District of Illinois issued a preliminary injunction that threatened all of the company’s Chicagoland business operations. After replacing former counsel, Anna developed a new strategy to regain leverage in the litigation and was then able to quickly negotiate a settlement on far better terms than the court’s order.
- Insurance coverage – Anna has represented numerous insurance companies in coverage disputes, including by directing the day-to-day defense of an action for a 21-member joint defense group in which the insured asserted $800 million in covered losses. Anna developed a strategy for efficient use of the case’s massive discovery record and coordinated the work of dozens of law firms. By continually advancing objectives on schedule, she earned the trust of her co-counsel, ultimately drafting motions and negotiating discovery disputes on behalf of all insurers.
- Pro bono – While her primary focus is the litigation of complex business disputes, Anna also dedicates a portion of her practice to immigration and asylum cases. She has counseled numerous clients in these proceedings, obtaining legal residency and/or work authorization for each. Anna currently manages the Chicago office’s pro bono program and enjoys her role in mentoring associates representing the under-served in a wide range of legal matters.
Publications and Presentations
The Real-World Impact of Forum Selection, Arbitration, and Other Litigation-Related Contractual Clauses — Pros, Cons, and Best Practices, with Lynn H. Murray and Todd C. Jacobs (Chicago, Nov. 14, 2013).
Summary of State Statutes Governing the Provision of Nutritional Education and Advice, with Laura K. McNally and Thomas J. Dammrich (Sept. 2013).