George has more than 25 years of experience handling all aspects of litigation involving architect and engineer liability, construction contracts and defects, intellectual property, insurance, motor vehicles, premises liability and product liability. He has tried more than 25 cases in federal and state courts throughout the country, including the top defense verdict in Missouri for the year 2000. He is also well-versed in negotiation, mediation and arbitration of complex disputes.
Design and Construction Litigation – George represents design professionals, contractors and owners in litigation involving the design and construction of airport, arena, bridge, convention center, flood control, general building, highway, hospital, power plant, rail/public transit, stadium, tunnel and utilities projects. As part of his representative experience, George:
- serves as general counsel for the HNTB Companies in the management of all their professional, general and pollution liability litigation and claims, as well as providing contract negotiation and risk management services;
- has represented an engineering firm as lead counsel in a case dealing with the ceiling collapse in the Boston Central Artery Tunnel;
- has represented the architect as lead counsel in litigation involving the design and construction of the National Nuclear Security Administration's National Security Campus;
- has represented the architect as lead counsel in litigation involving the design and construction of a multi-use development project in Branson, Missouri;
- has represented the architect as lead counsel in a case involving claims by KCP&L seeking over $600 million as a result of the Hawthorn Power Plant explosion; and
- has represented the State of Missouri on the appeal of the license revocation actions in the Hyatt Skywalk Collapse litigation.
Intellectual Property Litigation – George represents corporations in litigation of intellectual property disputes. As part of his representative experience, George has:
- successfully represented Sprint in a three-week arbitration involving claims by an architectural firm seeking over $100 million and injunctive relief based upon Sprint’s alleged infringement of the firm’s copyrighted design for Sprint PCS stores.
Product Liability Litigation – George represents manufacturers such as B.F. Goodrich, Calgon, Colt Industries, Conoco, DuPont, Farmland Industries, Ford Motor Company, Leggett & Platt, Magna Seating, Overhead Door Corporation and Covidien (formerly Tyco Healthcare) in product liability cases. As part of his representative experience, George has:
- served as lead counsel for a manufacturer of polyurethane foam in consolidated actions before the U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island arising from the 2003 Station Nightclub fire;
- obtained a defense verdict in the Superior Court of Middlesex County, New Jersey, in a case where a 10-year old girl suffered traumatic brain injury as a result of an allegedly defective seatbelt retractor and seatback when she was a rear seat passenger in a Taurus that was run off the road and struck a telephone pole;
- obtained a defense verdict in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Oklahoma in a case where a woman was crushed to death as a result of an allegedly defective transmission system on an F-350 truck;
- obtained a defense verdict in the District Court of Tulsa County, Oklahoma, in a case involving a warehouse fire allegedly resulting from a fuel system defect in an F-Series truck;
- defended the first Expedition rollover case to go to trial. The case, in the District Court of Bowie County, Texas, involved a man sustaining quadriplegia as a result of allegedly defective roof and seatbelt systems, was settled during trial;
- obtained dismissals of the class actions against Farmland Industries and the local cooperative that allegedly sold ammonium nitrate to Terry Nichols in connection with the Oklahoma City Bombing; and
- obtained a defense verdict for Conoco in a multiple fatality propane gas explosion.
Insurance Litigation – George represents insurance companies and insureds in coverage disputes, first-party claims and third-party claims. As part of his representative experience, George has:
- represented an insurance company in coverage disputes arising from Hurricane Katrina.
Other Litigation – George has represented railroad and other companies in motor vehicle and premises liability litigation, including several jury trials.