Mike's practice is focused on commercial and high-stakes litigation. He has represented individuals and corporations from the time of engagement all the way through trial and appeal. His clients have spanned a broad range of industries, including:
- major airlines;
- insurance and annuity companies;
- banks and mortgage lenders;
- automotive dealerships;
- construction companies;
- hotels and nightclubs;
- art dealers;
- firearm manufacturers; and
- chemical companies.
The nature of the disputes Mike has handled are as varied as the clients he has served, ranging from antitrust suits to wrongful death and serious injury cases. Much of Mike’s current practice is dedicated to trade regulation and unfair competition matters and employment litigation.
Law is Mike’s second career. Before law school, he earned a Master of Arts in student affairs administration at Michigan State University. He then worked as a student affairs administrator at the University of California, Riverside and as the director of residential life at a smaller private university in South Florida. In his first career, Mike taught numerous college-level classes and workshops on the theories and practice of effective leadership and related topics.
- Trademark and Competition: Representing a major airline in a lawsuit against a travel agent for misuse and infringement of the airline’s trademarks in violation of the Lanham Act and antitrust counterclaims against the airline.
- Professional Liability: Representing the plaintiff (an insurance company) in a multi-million-dollar legal malpractice suit against its former attorneys.
- Employment: Defending a major airline, several automotive dealerships and other businesses in state and federal lawsuits and administrative actions alleging employment discrimination and retaliation. Mike has also represented employers in individual and collective actions alleging violations of the FLSA and state employee-protection laws.
- Insurance Bad Faith: Defending a major life insurance company against allegations of fraud, bad faith claims settlement practices and other various torts.
- Commercial: Serving as lead trial counsel in a commercial dispute between a mortgage servicing company and a general contractor. Following a non-jury trial, a complete defense judgment was entered in favor of Mike’s client. Mike also represented a leading art dealer in a complex, multimillion-dollar commercial dispute against a major cruise line.
- Wrongful Death: Representing a well-known hotel and nightclub in a wrongful death action alleging violations of the dram-shop act.
Pro Bono Matters
Mike is also committed to serving his community through his pro bono efforts. Notably:
- Mike represented an incarcerated client in his prosecution of a civil rights claim against a local police department alleging excessive force during an arrest.
- Mike served as trial counsel in a protracted family law dispute in which Mike’s client successfully sought to obtain sole parental decision-making authority over a minor child. During the multi-day trial, Mike delivered the opening statement, examined witnesses, argued evidentiary issues, and prepared the closing arguments. The judgment was appealed. Mike prepared all of the briefing for the appellate court and the judgment was ultimately affirmed.