Jeanne’s practice includes litigating a diverse array of commercial disputes and pre-litigation counseling. She has represented clients in a variety of industries, including transportation, insurance, manufacturing, energy and banking.
Jeanne has represented companies in business tort, contractual, antitrust, banking, civil securities, deceptive practices and consumer fraud claims brought as class actions or individually. She has also represented companies and individuals in trust and probate matters. Jeanne has experience in multidistrict litigation as well as complex shareholder/member matters and has litigated trust disputes. Jeanne is also seasoned in effective discovery management, having successfully managed large eDiscovery teams spanning more than five years and serving more than 50 cases. Jeanne has handled all phases of multi-party and class discovery, including drafting legal hold orders and negotiating protocols, coordinating bifurcated issues, defending and taking depositions and resolving disputes, whether by agreement or court intervention.
- Represents pharmaceutical manufacturers in litigation brought by the Mississippi Attorney General in a claim arising from the Mississippi Consumer Protection Act.
- Defended a polyurethane foam manufacturer on claims of alleged price-fixing in direct purchaser class actions, indirect purchaser class actions and opt-out individual actions. In re Polyurethane Foam Antitrust Litigation (MDL 2196).
- Defended the same manufacturer in a state-court proceeding concerning similar price-fixing allegations brought on behalf of indirect purchasers as a consumer protection claim wherein the team defeated class certification.
- Defended a manufacturer in direct and indirect purchaser antitrust class actions involving claims of alleged price-fixing of plastics additives products. In re Plastics Additives Antitrust Litigation (MDL 1684).
- Defended a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a Lanham Act false advertising and unfair competition case brought by a competitor, obtaining summary judgment on all claims.
- Defended a manufacturer in a securities action stemming from alleged stock-option backdating.
- Defended a manufacturer simultaneously in multiple jurisdictions concerning an asset purchase dispute brought by former shareholders.
- Defended corporate entities in disputes involving joint venture ownership and operation of wind farms, obtaining summary judgment on multiple counts.
- Defended a transportation company in a commercial services disagreement with a customer.
Jeanne’s pro bono work includes managing Shook’s Adopt-A-Neighborhood initiative, a partnership with Legal Aid of Western Missouri, wherein Shook provides volunteer attorneys to provide legal services in urban neighborhoods to support residents and empower neighborhood organizations. Jeanne has also represented parents in foster parent adoptions, victims of domestic violence, juveniles in detention hearings and has served as a judge for high school, undergraduate and law school students in mock trial competitions and appellate advocate classes. She has also served as an advocate for Kansas City’s not-for-profit animal shelter in general contract and tort disputes.
During law school, Jeanne served as an intern for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Western District of Missouri, where she assisted with briefing in the United States v. Courtney prosecution in which Robert Courtney, a former pharmacist, was accused of diluting drugs to increase profits. Law enforcement estimates contend Courtney diluted 98,000 prescriptions given to 4,200 patients. In 2002, Courtney pled guilty, was convicted of pharmaceutical fraud and was sentenced to federal prison. Jeanne also worked as a research assistant for Barbara Glesner Fines, now dean of the University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law. Before attending law school, Jeanne worked as a paralegal, a role that continues to provide her with a pragmatic, unique and client-based perspective.
Presentations and Publications
Presenter, It Takes a Village, Webinar, Pro Bono Institute, March 2021.
Co-author, Price Gouging: Protections and Defenses, Interactive Map, Shook Hardy & Bacon, LLP, August 2020-present.
Co-author, Force Majeure and Common Law Defenses, A National Survey, Shook Hardy & Bacon, LLP, April 2020.
Co-author, Antitrust Challenges in the Age of COVID-19 (Part I) and Consumer Protection Enforcement Challenges in the Age of COVID-19, (Part II), Shook Hardy & Bacon, LLP, April 2020.
Speaker, ABA Consumer Protection Update, Webinar, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Consumer Protection and Advertising Disputes Litigation Committees, June 14, 2016.
Co-author, Predatory Innovation Claim Subject to Rule of Reason Evaluation, Antitrust News, Oct. 8, 2006.