Anna excels at developing effective strategies in high-stakes disputes by recognizing her clients’ priorities and focusing on pragmatic solutions. With five years of experience managing a staff of ten at a growing private company before law school, Anna understands business objectives and brings a practical approach to litigation. Anna works closely with her clients and co-counsel at every stage of litigation to provide updates, answer questions and explain options. While litigation is never easy, Anna’s clients regularly credit her high level of responsiveness for giving them the ability to focus on their business and personal lives without worries or anxiety over the pending litigation.
Anna has a wide range of experience managing lawsuits involving breach of contract, intellectual property, antitrust, employee mobility and enforcement of restrictive covenants and trade secrets, professional liability, fraud and insurance coverage. Anna’s critical reasoning skills, creative problem solving, and organized and efficient management style are distinct advantages for her clients.
Prior to joining Shook, Anna was an associate at Latham & Watkins in both New York and Chicago, where she focused her practice on contract, white collar and securities matters.
- Breach of contract – Anna successfully defended ArcelorMittal in a breach of contract action, second-chairing a two-week arbitration hearing and taking all depositions in the case. The AAA awarded a complete defense victory and all arbitration costs to our client.
- Antitrust – Anna is representing JP Morgan Chase in antitrust class actions alleging that foreign currency dealers conspired to manipulate benchmark currency exchange rates, and a medical device manufacturer alleging antitrust violations related to insurance coverage.
- Data privacy and security, BIPA litigation – A financial company retained Anna to investigate and prosecute claims related to a cyberattack on its information systems. Within 24 hours, her team filed suit and obtained a TRO and order directing the U.S. Marshals Service to seize the defendant's computer equipment. The seized equipment led to a suit against a second defendant and a second TRO. Anna is also currently defending class actions brought under the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act.
- Contract, intellectual property and fraud – Anna has represented a proprietary trading firm in numerous contract, employee mobility and trade secret, intellectual property and fraud suits. Most recently, she achieved a complete victory for the firm and its CEO through early motion practice in a suit brought by a former trader that alleged breach of contract and fraud.
- Patent – Anna has prosecuted and defended patent claims for Microsoft, Snap-on Tools and several pharmaceutical companies.
- Trademark – Anna assumed the defense of a national manufacturer and retailer after the Northern District of Illinois issued a preliminary injunction that threatened all of the company’s Chicagoland business operations. After replacing former counsel, Anna developed a new strategy to regain leverage in the litigation and was then able to negotiate a settlement on far better terms than the court’s order.
- Professional liability – Anna defended a prominent Chicago law firm against a $34 million professional liability suit. Anna took and defended key depositions that led to the discovery of critical facts missed by opposing counsel and eliminated a significant portion of the plaintiff's damages claim.
- Insurance coverage – Anna has represented several insurance companies in coverage disputes, including by directing the day-to-day defense of an action for a 21-member joint defense group in which the insured asserted $800 million in covered losses. Anna developed a strategy for efficient use of the case’s massive discovery record and coordinated the work of dozens of law firms. By continually advancing objectives on schedule, she earned the trust of her co-counsel, ultimately drafting motions and negotiating discovery disputes on behalf of all insurers.
- Pro bono – While her primary focus is the litigation of complex business disputes, Anna also dedicates a portion of her practice to immigration and asylum cases. She has counseled numerous clients in these proceedings, obtaining legal residency and/or work authorization for each. Anna currently manages the Chicago office’s pro bono program and enjoys her role in mentoring associates representing the under-served in a wide range of legal matters.
Publications and Presentations
The Future of Privacy and Data Security: Biometrics, ABA Second National Institute on Cybersecurity Law (June 2017).
Privilege and the In-House Attorney, ACC (January 2017).
Updates in Ethics - 2016 (June 2016).
The Real-World Impact of Forum Selection, Arbitration, and Other Litigation-Related Contractual Clauses — Pros, Cons, and Best Practices (November 2013).
Summary of State Statutes Governing the Provision of Nutritional Education and Advice (September 2013).