Bob has been recognized as among the top product liability attorneys in the country by Chambers USA for a number of years, and he has served as a first chair trial lawyer in four different major mass torts. Bob has achieved defense verdicts for 17 out of 19 plaintiffs whose claims went to verdict in courtrooms across the country. He has extensive pharmaceutical MDL experience, including serving as national defense counsel for three major pharmaceutical companies in MDLs targeting their medications.
Bob has also been recognized for several years in The Best Lawyers in America LMG Life Sciences and Who's Who Legal Product Liability Defense. Bob's trial victories have been highlighted in national publications, including The National Law Journal and The Wall Street Journal.
- Represented in two pharmaceutical companies in MDL and state court litigation involving a diabetes medication, including defending numerous high ranking sales and marketing witnesses in their MDL depositions. In addition, he tried a case in state court on behalf of one of these clients, a multinational pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical corporation.
- National strategic and settlement counsel for leading pharmaceutical company in litigation involving a prescription blood-thinning medication that reduces the risk of stroke and blood clots in people with atrial ﬁbrillation. In this role, he negotiated the global resolution of a major mass tort involving both MDL and state court litigation.
- Lead counsel for a defendant in MDL litigation for a dietary supplement weight loss aid.
- Spearheaded the defense of a multinational biopharmaceutical company in connection with litigation and investigations arising out of its prescription medications used to treat anemia, and also represented this client in response to several consumer fraud class actions, securities litigation, government investigations, Congressional inquiries and an SEC investigation.
- Conducted two major litigation risk assessments involving a highly successful prescription medication already on the market, and a promising drug in development prior to launch.
- Lead counsel for a major pharmaceutical client, defending the company against more than 10,000 individual personal injury lawsuits and class actions concerning a cholesterol-lowering drug, in federal and state courts nationwide. He was also asked to serve as trial counsel for this client in the ﬁrst case to go to trial concerning this drug.
- National counsel for a Fortune 500 American health care company in AIDS/hemophilia litigation. Successfully tried cases for the client around the country and achieved defense verdicts involving multiple plaintiﬀs.
- Lead trial counsel for a major pharmaceutical company in multiple diet drug trials involving a total of nine plaintiﬀs. Obtained defense verdicts on eight of the nine plaintiﬀs, with the remaining plaintiﬀ awarded only nominal damages. In one of the trials, Bob achieved an unprecedented result, persuading the jury to ﬁnd in favor of his client in Phase II (liability) after the same jury had awarded two plaintiﬀs $5.5 million in Phase I (damages).
- Lead trial counsel in a bellwether jury trial that involved claims brought by the parents of a deceased hemophiliac who was infected with the AIDS virus allegedly as a result of his use of an anti-hemophilic factor concentrate processed by various pharmaceutical companies, including the client. The trial lasted nearly four months, and the jury returned a verdict in favor of the client.
- Co-lead counsel in a six-week trial in state court in California. The case involved a young hemophiliac who was infected with the AIDS virus and died allegedly as a result of his use of the client’s prescription medication. The jury returned a defense verdict.
- Co-lead counsel for a global research and pharmaceutical company in a lengthy trial in state court in Philadelphia. Among other witnesses, Bob cross-examined the plaintiﬀ’s FDA regulatory expert and conducted the direct examination of client’s expert witness who worked for 12 years at the FDA, including as Director of the Division of Anti-Infective & Antiviral Drug Products for the Center for Drug Evaluation & Research.
- Trial counsel for a major pharmaceutical company in the ﬁrst case to go to trial alleging injury from the use of a certain statin medicine. The client was dismissed on the eve of trial.
- Lead trial counsel in another statin case that settled after jury selection and arguments on pretrial motions on terms highly favorable to the defendants.
- Lead trial counsel in six cases that were tried in state court in Louisiana. The cases involved claims brought by or on behalf of HIV-infected hemophiliacs. Defense verdicts were achieved in all six cases.
- Represented a company that produces technology and weapons products for law enforcement in personal injury litigation.
- Represented a company that develops, manufactures, and markets robotic surgical products in personal injury litigation.
- Represented a client in acetaminophen litigation.