Jeff concentrates his practice on complex litigation in federal and state courts across the United States, including product liability, mass tort, and insurance coverage cases.
Strategic Litigation Management (SLM) — Jeff is co-chair of our SLM Committee. In our firm, SLM is a philosophy that guides the way we work with clients, deliver legal services, and work within our teams. To effectively manage a single case or an entire docket of cases, we focus on providing value through our firm’s SLM model, which consists of the following tools:
- strategic early case assessment;
- project management;
- budget management, including a wide variety of alternative fee arrangements;
- leveraging technology; and
- value-added services.
National Product Liability and Mass Tort Litigation — Jeff has served as national counsel for several manufacturers in different industries.
- He has been national coordinating counsel who worked closely with in-house counsel for a major client to manage litigation involving more than 5,000 cases in one state.
- He has been national counsel for a product manufacturer in industry-wide liability litigation brought by various municipalities, other government agencies, and individuals. He was trial counsel for this manufacturer in a six-week trial in federal court in New York City, and judgment was entered in favor of all defendants after the trial.
- He has been national counsel for major medical device and pharmaceutical manufacturers in nationwide litigation involving numerous products, including cardiac medical devices and antidepressants.
- He has been national counsel for a major client in health care reimbursement litigation brought by attorneys general of all the states, cities, counties, union health and welfare funds, and Native American tribes.
Resolution of Nationwide Litigation — Jeff has been responsible for the implementation and coordination of nationwide litigation settlements, and has been actively involved in the use of alternative dispute resolution (ADR).
- He was an early advocate of ADR and has devoted a significant amount of time to helping clients resolve litigation through the creative use of mediation, arbitration, high/low agreements, and other innovative ADR processes.
- As national counsel for a major medical device manufacturer in nationwide litigation involving cardiac medical devices, he was responsible for helping to implement and coordinate the Master Settlement Agreement in a multidistrict litigation (MDL) involving more than 8,000 claimants.
- As national counsel for a major client, he was responsible for helping to implement and coordinate the Master Settlement Agreement in all 52 participating jurisdictions.