Jeff concentrates his practice on complex litigation in federal and state courts across the United States, including product liability, mass tort and insurance coverage cases.
Strategic Litigation Management (SLM) – Jeff is co-chair of our SLM Committee. In our firm, SLM is a philosophy that guides the way we work with clients, deliver legal services, and work within our teams. To effectively manage a single case or an entire docket of cases, we focus on providing value through our firm’s SLM model, which consists of the following tools:
- strategic early case assessment;
- project management;
- budget management, including a wide variety of alternative fee arrangements;
- leveraging technology; and
- value-added services.
National Product Liability and Mass Tort Litigation - Jeff has served as national counsel for several manufacturers in different industries.
- He has been national coordinating counsel who worked closely with in-house counsel for a major tobacco industry client to manage litigation involving more than 5,000 cases in one state.
- He has been national counsel for a major firearms manufacturer in industry-wide liability litigation brought by various municipalities, other government agencies and individuals. He was trial counsel for this manufacturer in a six-week trial in federal court in New York City, and judgment was entered in favor of all defendants after the trial.
- He has been national counsel for major medical device and pharmaceutical manufacturers in nationwide litigation involving numerous products, including cardiac medical devices and antidepressants.
- He has been national counsel for a major tobacco industry client in health care reimbursement litigation brought by attorneys general of all the states, cities, counties, union health and welfare funds and Native American tribes.
Resolution of Nationwide Litigation - Jeff has been responsible for the implementation and coordination of nationwide litigation settlements, and has been actively involved in the use of alternative dispute resolution (ADR).
- As national counsel for a major medical device manufacturer in nationwide litigation involving cardiac medical devices, he was responsible for helping to implement and coordinate the Master Settlement Agreement in a multidistrict litigation (MDL) involving over 8,000 claimants.
- As national counsel for a major tobacco industry client, he was responsible for helping to implement and coordinate the Master Settlement Agreement in all 52 participating jurisdictions.
- He was an early advocate of ADR and has devoted a significant amount of time to helping clients resolve litigation through the creative use of mediation, arbitration, high/low agreements, and other innovative ADR processes.