Alison Newstead handles a variety of U.K. and multinational claims and regulatory issues involving electrical equipment, industrial components, automobiles, and healthcare and medical device products. Alison has longstanding experience in coordinating pan-European defense strategies for consumer product manufacturers and advises companies on the full range of product liability issues, from initial discovery of a potential safety issue, to risk management and recall action. Alison often counsels manufacturers in compliance and product safety obligations, guiding clients through risk assessment analysis and liaison with regulatory bodies.
With strong links to counsel and experts in Europe, her practice regularly spans many European states and often extends to the Middle East and Asia.
Alison’s practice also encompasses assisting those in healthcare, construction and environmental industries with general health and safety issues. She has represented clients at inquests and in criminal proceedings resulting from Police and Health and Safety Executive investigations alleging breaches of health and safety legislation. Alison also regularly advises on the defense of civil proceedings arising from such action.
Before joining Shook, Alison defended product liability claims and multiparty actions at CMS Cameron McKenna LLP, where she was a member of the MMR vaccine litigation defense team in Europe’s largest collective claim for personal injury. She has also served as a secondee in the legal department of Metronet, the maintenance service provider to London Underground, where she was responsible for all litigation matters. In this capacity, Alison led Metronet’s response to HSE investigations into alleged train defects responsible for the Chancery Lane rail crash.
British Waterways v. Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Plc  EWHC 460 (Comm).
Sayers and others v. Sanofi Pasteur MSD Limited and others  EWHC 539 (QB).
Davis v. Jacobs, Camden & Islington Health Authority and Novartis Pharmaceuticals (UK) Ltd  3 Med Law Reports 72.
- Autonomous and Connected Vehicles Update, June 2017;
- Autonomous and Connected Vehicles Update, May 2017;
- Autonomous and Connected Vehicles Update, April 2017;
- "Is Your Business Ready for a Recall? 5 Steps to Prepare" (Corporate Counsel);
- "Litigation in the U.K.? 5 Things You Need to Know Before Taking Your Next Step" (Inside Counsel);
- "Is Your Company Insured Through The London Market?" (Law360);
- "Healthcare apps: comparing the US and UK approaches," "Drones and robots: liability for designers, manufacturers and insurers," "EU product safety and market surveillance package," "Unsafe products: statistics and trends 2014," "Unsafe products: identifying serious risks and notifying the relevant authorities," "Unsafe products: responsibilities for notification," "Risks following a product recall, part 2: criminal offences for the company and directors," "Risks following a product recall, part 1: disclosure and freedom of information requests," "Product recall: how well have you prepared?," "The aftermath of a product recall: when the dust settles," "Product liability developments in 2011: What do they mean for your business?," and "International co-ordinating counsel in product liability cases: is it really necessary?" (The In-House Lawyer);
- "UK-based multi-national corporations at risk from Large Scale Industrial Disease Actions" (Defense Counsel Journal);
- "Raising the Stakes – Health and Safety Enforcement" (FM Legal Update );
- "A New Product Recall Database in the UK - Revolutionising Product Recall Action?" and "Is Your Company Insured Through the London Market?" (Shook, Hardy & Bacon's International Legal Bulletin);
- "New MHRA Fees for Market Surveillance in the UK - Another Cost for Medical Industry?" (Shook, Hardy & Bacon's Drug and Device Bulletin).
Alison regularly speaks at conferences and training seminars. By way of example, she spoke on "Crisis Management for In-House Lawyers" at the annual C&I Health and Safety Conference in September 2010. In October 2010, she served as chair for DRI Europe’s Corporate Conduct: Emerging Sources of Civil and Criminal Liability across Europe for Corporations and their Directors and Officers, and she presented on "Risk Management Concerns" at Shook, Hardy & Bacon’s Product Recall seminar in December 2010. Alison has also presented a paper at the “Sécurité et rappel des produits” product liability conference in Paris.