The American Lawyer Names Shook Finalist, Product Liability Litigation Department of the Year Contest
Fourth recognition in four contests for Shook
The American Lawyer today recognized Shook, Hardy & Bacon as a finalist in its Product Liability Litigation Department of the Year competition. Shook won the competition in 2008 and 2012 and was a finalist in 2010. (The American Lawyer did not include a product liability category in its 2014 competition.)
The American Lawyer evaluated firms on their product liability results achieved in a two-year period from July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015.
From The American Lawyer’s article:
- The Kansas City, Missouri-based firm, which boasts the largest product liability practice in the world, with 319 product liability attorneys as of June 30, is probably best known for defending the tobacco industry, particularly Philip Morris, for which it pioneered national litigation in the 1950s. It continues its defense of Philip Morris as first chair in 27 of the company's 39 Engle progeny trials. Shook Hardy has defended 110 active class actions and 135 product liability claims in 25 countries in the last two years.
- Shook secured important verdicts in Massachusetts in Albright v. Boston Scientific and Cardenas v. Boston Scientific. They were among the few decisive victories so far for manufacturers of surgical devices used for treatment of pelvic organ prolapse and other conditions. An estimated 100,000 lawsuits have been filed against seven manufacturers for claims ranging from constant pain to dyspareunia, according to Reuters.
- "They care about our business, our products and our company," says J.B. Simko, vice president and associate general counsel of Philip Morris International Global Services Inc. "They will fill any role that is required, whether it is lead or support. You don't find that with a lot of firms. They bring a great deal of issue expertise in a number of different areas. It is that dedication and willingness to play any role required that sets them apart."
- Michael Epstein, senior litigation counsel at Tyco International, says that Shook Hardy was in the forefront of offering his company alternative fee arrangements. "The scope and amount of work they do for us means better work and better value for the legal spend," he says.
Other recent recognitions for Shook, Hardy & Bacon include:
- Named “Largest Product Liability Practice in the World” by Law360.
- Named “Value Champion” by the Association of Corporate Counsel for the third time (the only law firm to achieve this recognitions three times).