Shook, Hardy & Bacon celebrates a five-year milestone in the Philadelphia area effective this year. The Am Law 100 firm opened a Philadelphia presence in 2012 to expand the firm’s geographic footprint along the Northeast Corridor and meet the needs of clients across the country. Shook has 12 offices worldwide and focuses on serving industry leaders in life sciences, food and agriculture and technology. As national counsel, Shook represents a majority of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies.
“Initially, Philadelphia, with its strong growth sectors and Fortune 500 companies, fit into our strategic plan and five years later, we are pleased to have an increasing presence in this dynamic, world-class city,” said Shook Chair Madeleine McDonough. “The attorneys in Philadelphia complement what our firm is doing nationally, and are also deeply entrenched in the community, which is a model we aspire to firm-wide. It’s been a great fit for our clients.”
Shook is located at Two Commerce Square in Philadelphia. The attorneys serve clients in the firm’s core industry areas including pharmaceutical and medical device industries, consumer products, food and beverage, banking, chemical, construction, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights. Five years ago, Philadelphia managing partner Sean Wajert moved to Shook after leading the product liability and mass tort groups of a large, international firm.
“The move to Shook was terrific both professionally and personally,” said Sean Wajert, who focuses on complex commercial litigation in a wide variety of industries. “I was first attracted to Shook for its trial strength, and I’ve been able to collaborate with some of the nation’s most experienced courtroom advocates. It’s been very satisfying, and I look to continuing to grow the Philly office.”
The Philadelphia attorneys are committed to the civic community and volunteer with local organizations including Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southeastern Pennsylvania, the Bethesda Project, Women in Bio, and the National Kidney Foundation chapter serving Delaware County. Shook’s Philadelphia office is a proud member of the Corporate Council of the Barnes Foundation.
Five Fast Facts about Shook:
- Scored a 10 on the Human Rights Campaign, Corporate Equality Index—nine years in a row;
- Ranked in Working Mother magazine: “50 Best Law Firms for Women” in 2017 for six consecutive years;
- Recognized as a Who’s Who “Product Liability Law Firm of the Year 2017;”
- Recognized by the Women In Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF), Gold Standard Certification, 2017 for seven consecutive years;
- The American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI) just selected Shook Philadelphia Partner Ryan Foley as a “40 Under 40.”
Shook attorneys write and speak frequently to industry organizations, and can be a source for reporters working on stories on non-client matters related to:
- Class Action, MDLs, and Mass Tort lawsuits
- Litigation trends
- Product liability issues (Shook’s Sean Wajert has served on Law360’s Product Liability Editorial Advisory Board).
- FDA regulations