John is a seasoned attorney with more than 30 years of experience. He works within the firm's Product Liability Litigation Practice Group. John has extensive experience representing design professionals, developers, owners and contractors in all types of construction litigation. John has tried a number of matters to verdict and has experience in both jury and bench trials. John also has wide-ranging experience in other types of civil litigation, including real property issues, employment law, personal injury, business disputes, and legal and other professional malpractice matters. He has extensive experience in mediating and arbitrating matters on behalf of clients, and has acted as a neutral arbitrator.
In addition to litigation services, John advises clients with respect to drafting documents such as engagement contracts, operating agreements, bylaws and business formation. He also advises clients on a full range of risk management and pre-litigation dispute-resolution strategies.
- Represented general contractor in negotiating project-specific contracts
- Obtained summary judgment for owner's architect on design build project
- Obtained dismissal of nightclub from claim brought by patrons alleging negligent distribution of alcohol resulting in motor vehicle accident
- Obtained dismissal of negligence claim against architect relating to approval of contractor's progress payment applications, and payment of architect's fees wrongfully withheld
- Obtained summary judgment for attorney on claim of legal malpractice relating to trust instrument and allegedly improper will
- Obtained dismissal on demurrer/partial summary judgment on wrongful death suicide claim against school district
- Negotiated favorable settlement for structural engineer at mediation of multi-plaintiff claims for personal injury and wrongful death arising out of a catastrophic balcony collapse
- Obtained judgment at arbitration for building owner in dispute with restaurant lessee over various tenant improvement issues and breach of lease
- Represented startup foodservice business and handled formation of LLC
- Negotiated favorable settlement at mediation of claim against a mechanical engineer brought by international hotel concern for allegedly defective design of an HVAC system
- Represented landscape architect in negotiations to terminate contract and to withdraw from project
- Obtained dismissal of claim against architect on claim for negligence relating to faulty hydronic heating system in residential application
- Obtained dismissal of negligence claim against structural engineer prior to hearing on demurrer
- Tried six asbestos matters to verdict in California state court