Jennise has extensive experience representing Fortune 100 companies in the pharmaceutical and medical device, manufacturing, automotive, retail, professional, medical and service industries. She has served as trial counsel in numerous cases from complex mass tort litigation to individual disputes. Her trial experience includes presenting fact and expert witnesses; preparing and successfully arguing pretrial and trial motions; conducting jury selection; cross-examining fact and expert witnesses at trial; and successfully arguing and examining witnesses for post-trial motions. Jennise has helped achieve numerous defense verdicts and other favorable resolutions for her clients.
Besides her role as a trial attorney, Jennise has led and managed multicase litigation through the complete discovery process to trial or resolution. Jennise’s experience also entails successfully briefing and arguing substantive and procedural pretrial and dispositive motions in state and federal courts and obtaining dismissals, and counseling clients on prelitigation strategy. In addition, Jennise has provided counsel and assessment on product liability risk and strategy for managing liability risks. Jennise also serves as counsel on regulatory matters for clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, biomaterials, automotive, aviation, food and retail industries.
Jennise has been recognized for her excellence in practice as a “Lawyer on the Rise” by Texas Lawyer in 2016 and “Rising Star” by Texas Monthly in 2005-2006 and 2009-2016. She was also named as a “40 Under 40” by the Houston Business Journal for her contributions to the industry and community.
Jennise has provided pro bono counsel and volunteered in her community throughout her career. Her pro bono work has included numerous probate cases, multiple custody disputes on behalf of Justice for Children, representation of a student in University of Houston Law Center Honor Court proceedings, and representation of a victim of sexual assault navigating related criminal and civil cases. Jennise has been an active member in various legal organizations, chairing and serving on various committees that focus on children and local schools. She was awarded the President’s Award for outstanding service by the Houston Bar Association.
Trials. Jennise has diverse trial experience defending clients in complex product liability, personal injury and breach of contract litigation. In this capacity, she has represented companies in the pharmaceutical and medical device, home warranty and automotive industries, among others. Jennise’s trial experience includes:
- Brook v. Warner-Lambert, 288th Judicial District, Bexar County, Texas
- Brown v. Warner-Lambert, 348th Judicial District, Tarrant County, Texas
- Hark v. Freightliner, Texas Administrative Law Proceeding
- Mercado (Culberson) v. Warner-Lambert Co., 61st Judicial District, Harris County, Texas
- Mozayani v. American Home Shield, Texas Small Claims Court
- Soto (Herrera) v. Warner-Lambert, 93rd Judicial District, Hidalgo County, Texas
- Salazar v. Lopez, 5th Judicial District, Dallas County, Texas
- Savage v. Sulzer, 152nd Judicial District, Harris County, Texas
Pretrial Resolutions. Jennise’s work has frequently led to the favorable resolution of cases before trial as well. Her more recent pretrial successes include:
- Abualsundos v. Pharmacia and Upjohn Co. LLC, 129th Judicial District, Harris County, Texas (summary judgment, claims dismissed)
- Beene v. Pharmacia and Upjohn Co. LLC, Superior Court of California, County of Kern (summary judgment, claims dismissed)
- Garza v. Wyeth, LLC, Southern District of Texas, Corpus Christi Division (summary judgment, case dismissed)
- Gazal v. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharm., Inc., U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota (summary judgment, case dismissed)
- In re Pelvic Mesh Litig., Pennsylvania State Court, Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County, 1st District (dismissal of 368 cases pending against Jennise’s clients)
- Jackson v. Wyeth, LLC, Southern District of Texas, Corpus Christi Division (summary judgment, case dismissed)
- Jacob v. Boston Scientific Corp., 234th Judicial District, Harris County, Texas (severance of plaintiffs’ claims, case ultimately dismissed)
- Laporte v. Pharmacia and Upjohn Co. LLC, Superior Court, Suffolk County, Commonwealth of Massachusetts) (summary judgment, case dismissed)
- Sarver v. Johnson & Johnson, Southern District of West Virginia, Charleston Division (motion to dismiss Jennise’s client, case dismissed)
- Smith v. Genzyme, 333rd Judicial District, Harris County, Texas (summary judgment, client dismissed)
- Tsavaris v. Pfizer, Inc, Southern District of Florida, Miami Division (motion to dismiss, case dismissed)
Recent Publications and Presentations
2019 Women's Health Litigation Summit Post-Summit Webinar, October 2019 (with Jennifer Kenyon and Kierra Moody).
Dietary Supplements, 60 Seconds of Legal Science, July 25, 2019.
Adrienne Busby, Victoria Calhoon, Colleen Hennessey and Jennise Stubbs, The Art of the 'Science and Expert Team' in Mass Torts, Law360, July 8, 2019.
Pharmaceutical Advertising 2019: Trends and Developments, Chambers and Partners Practice Guide, February 20, 2019 (with Sonali Gunawardhana, Hildy Sastre and Alyse Zadalis).
Nailing Jello to a Tree: Challenges Associated with Evolving Science and Regulatory Requirements, American Bar Association, January, 2018.
How Wide are the Arms of State Court Jurisdiction?, The Houston Lawyer, November/December 2017.
Jennie W. Stubbs & Kelsey A. Copeland, Defensive Strategies to Avoid Litigation and When Litigation is Unavoidable, ACC Back to School Symposium, Houston, Texas, August 15, 2017.
Food and Drug Law Institute, Introduction to Drug Law and Regulation Course: The Legal Framework for Drug Regulation; "The New Drug Approval Process: Basic Concepts," "The New Drug Approval Process: New Drug Research and Development," and "The New Drug Approval Process: NDA Submission and Review," October 19, 2016.
Jennise W. Stubbs & Kelsey A. Copeland, Using the Biomaterials Access Assurance Act as a Sword and a Shield, Bloomberg BNA: Medical Devices Law & Industry ReportTM, Sept. 14, 2016.